(vision, problem to solve, product details, value & growth hypotheses, etc...)
- How to generate startup ideas - i.e. solve problems, scratch your own itch, provide value, consider growth potential, be aware of good ideas that seem like bad ideas (and vice versa), and ideas that investors are looking for.
- Brainstorming for New Startup Ideas: A Framework to Spur Creative Thinking - includes drilling into validating and scoring your different ideas.
- How to Start a Startup - Build something that users will love. (here's a video on the same topic)
(boiling down vision, problem, and solution)
- How to boil down vision and mission into an overview statement for your new business - provide yourself (and your team/advisors) a concise "why/how/what" paragraph.
(competition, “why now”, addressable market)
- How to evaluate a market for your potential startup - market size (TAM/SAM/SOM), competition, regulatory, why now, etc..
- How can a startup company best evaluate market size and find the market data? - Fantastic Quora thread.
- Surplus > Volume - "Just because a market has billions of dollars of gross transaction volume doesn’t mean that it has billions of dollars of unallocated purchasing capacity sloshing around in it."
(segments / profiles / personas)
- How to identify “ideal” early customers - empathy, influencers, biography, and prep for running tests to confirm you know who your customers are.
- How to Create Detailed Buyer Personas for Your Business - includes a free persona template.
- Customer Segmentation - a guide to best practices from a marketing perspective, focused on the B2B space, but applicable for all founders.